Sunday, May 6, 2012

MTC Day 5 May 4, 2012


                                    Our District with Sister Reese, our afternoon instructor!

MTC May 4, 2012

Friday, Graduation Day!  This week has flown by in a whirlwind of emotions and spiritual highs and now we are changing pace preparing for next week.  Today, was the last day of the Teach My Gospel training. When we first realized we would be going through the same training as all missionaries, we thought that wouldn’t be necessary because we will be serving in the Temple not teaching investigators.  Well, while that is true to some extent, but we have  gained so much in knowledge and testimony of the Gospel of Jesus Christ through the last five days, we can see the wisdom and inspiration behind this program. We are grateful for the opportunity!
Today’s focus was on Member and Leader Support which is the assignment of half our District's missions. One couple was going to Billings Montana and the other to Louisville Kentucky. They both left today after the closing meeting, driving to their missions. 

We have found many friendships in these few short days that may last a lifetime.  It is truly amazing that love and friendship develops so quickly when there is such a strong feeling of common purpose and testimony of the work to be done.  
I wonder if you realize how incredibly wonderful my bride is?  She is truly remarkable and compassionate to everyone.  Two examples…first, one of the members of our District from Homedale Idaho was terrified at the prospect of having to teach an ‘investigator’  face-to-faceas part of our training. In fact, I was afraid she was going to be physically sick and she kept saying ”I’m going home, I can’t do this!” Carolyn connected with her and calmed her all the while I’m sure she was not looking forward to the teaching sessions herself.  Later, after the session and through the next sessions, Caroln put her arm around her and got her to smile, helping to bring a new strength to this dear sister by getting her to “show me that beautiful smile!”
Second, today in the cafeteria, we had just set down to eat when Carolyn got up and said “I’ll be right back.” She walked behind me and I assumed she was going to get something else to eat.  In a few minutes she came back and I noticed she had tears in her eyes.  I asked her if anything was wrong.  She composed herself for a minute then said she had seen an older man setting at a table by himself dressed as one of the cafeteria staff.  Then she said, “I just felt that I ought to go over and tell him how much we all appreciated his work in preparing and serving the food to us missionaries.” Turns out, he was one of the dish washers!  She then told him, “Well I’m grateful for that because of you we all don’t have to wash dishes!”  I cannot possibly imagine what a boost to his self-worth she had just done with this simple gesture of kindness! “Made his day!!”

Tomorrow is our “P” day and we are going to the Provo Temple for a session and then go to see one of our beautiful granddaughters perform in a ballroom dance competition.  We’ve never seen her dance before so we are looking forward to some ‘outside’ time and watching our granddaughter perform.

No comments:

Post a Comment